What is Mitergy®?
Mitochondrial Energy Support*
Mitochondria are the energy factories inside every single cell in your body. The energy made by mitochondria powers every action in your metabolism.
Mitergy® is a patent pending, stimulant-free formulation of nutrients and co-factors which work in the body to protect the mitochondria and enhance mitochondrial energy production.* Niagen® is the patented and clinically studied metabolic precursor of NAD+ (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide), which enhances mitochondrial energy production and promotes energy-dependent regulation of cell functions.* elevATP™ has been shown to enhance production of ATP, the cell’s chemical definition of energy. L-carnitine serves as an important transporter of fuel for ATP production, while R-Alpha Lipoic Acid and pTeroPure™ Pterostilbene provide mitochondrial protection.*
For best results, use Mitergy® in conjunction with the Live with Purpose® program for natural energy, available online at www.PurposeNutrition.com.
What Does It Do?
Mitochondria are the energy factories within our cells. The energy made by mitochondria powers every action in your metabolism. By reacting glucose and lipids with oxygen to create adenosine triphosphate (ATP), they create the energy that our bodies require for every biological function. Every cell in our bodies contains mitochondria—some as few as two mitochondria per cell, others as many as 2,500. The amount of mitochondria in a cell and their condition plays a very large part in determining how much energy the cell will be able to produce and use. How much energy you have is a direct result of your mitochondria.
Mitergy® supports the mitochondria through its patent-pending combination of ingredients—each exhibiting a different mechanism within the body—Mitergy may improve the function and even the number of cellular mitochondria so that more ATP may be produced and more energy available throughout the body.
Mitergy takes a multi-pronged approach towards enhancing mitochondrial health. Each key ingredient supports the mitochondria via a different mechanism or biological pathway to enhance mitochondrial energy production, improve energy production efficiency, and protect mitochondria from damage and degradation.*
- Enhancing mitochondrial energy production so that your cells make more energy.1
Niagen®: A patented and superior form of vitamin B3 (nicotinamide riboside), Niagen supports mitochondrial health and may increase biogenesis, or the creation of new mitochondria within living cells.In one study of mice fed nicotinamide riboside (NR) and compared to similar mice not fed NR, the quadriceps muscle biopsies of NR-fed showed increases in the amount of mitochondrial DNA and mitochondria-related biomarkers such as PGC-1? suggesting that NR feeding increases mitochondrial biogenesis in a tissue-specific manner.elevATP®: A patented combination of ancient peat and apple polyphenols that has been shown to increase intracellular ATP production.In one double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study, subjects ingested 150mg of elevATP or a placebo. Those that took elevATP experienced increased levels of ATP in the blood without significant increases in reactive oxygen species (oxidants or free radicals) or lactic acid.2
Rhodiola rosea extract: This medicinal herb that grows at high altitudes or arctic regions and has been used for hundreds of years to increase energy and help offset the effects of altitude sickness. Scientists have recently discovered that Rhodiola rosea stimulates the enzyme AMPK, which regulates the number and size of mitochondria.3
- Increasing the efficiency of mitochondrial energy production, through enhancing the ATP cycle and the efficiency of fuel transport into the cell for ATP production.Acetyl L-Carnitine: Often abbreviated to ALCAR, acetyl L-carnitine is a naturally occurring substance in the body that breaks down into the amino acid carnitine, which binds with lipids so that they can more efficiently enter the mitochondria to be burned as fuel.Supplementation with L-carnitine has been shown to significantly reduce the incidence of obesity and type-II diabetes, largely due to its improvement of mitochondrial function.4 In animal studies of obese mice, just four weeks of supplementation with L-carnitine showed signs of reversing the abnormal markers of insulin resistance, obesity, abnormal lipid profiles and liver damage associated with metabolic syndrome.5,6,7,8Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA): A short-chain fatty acid that has been shown to enhance the ATP cycle of energy production and improve mitochondrial function measured by mitochondrial oxygen use and activity. It has been found to work well in conjunction with Acetyl L-Carnitine to enhance the ATP cycle of energy production and to protect mitochondria from damage and mutations from oxidants.9Alpha Lipoic Acid appears to improve energy production and mitochondrial biogenesis by AMPK to PGC-1? signaling. In tests done on aged mice, half of the subjects received Lipoic Acid supplementation in their drinking water for 30 days while the other half did not. Those aged mice that received Lipoic Acid had improved energy expenditure, body composition, and glucose tolerance, compared to the mice that did not receive it.10
- Protecting mitochondria from damage and degradation.pTeroPure®: The patented and clinically studied >99% pure form of the all-trans pterostilbene (pronounced “tero STILL bean”), a highly bioavailable form of double-methylated resveratrol found in blueberries that is more easily absorbed by the cell and has about 7 times the half-life in the body. Pterostilbene is in the same chemical family as resveratrol and is found in minute quantities in grapes (Vitis vinifera) and blueberries (Vaccinium spp). Pterostilbene acts as an antioxidant. It promotes cellular health and is four times better absorbed and has a longer half-life in the body than resveratrol, lasting about 7 times longer in the body.* pTeroPure protects the mitochondria from harmful oxidative compounds and may improve their function. In laboratory tests, pterostilbene has been shown to protect the mitochondria of rat livers from hydroxyl radicals oxidative damage and tertiary-butyl hydroperoxide (TBHP), among other free radicals.11
Together, these ingredients offer powerful support for mitochondrial health and function that may have a synergistic effect greater than any single ingredient could have.
Mitergy is appropriate for anyone who is looking for more energy—either to improve athletic performance, offset the effects of aging or physical inactivity, or improve a lack of energy from mitochondrial diseases. Mitochondria play an important function in powering the cells of the brain, and many of the supplements in Mitergy have shown a role in improved cognitive function.
Improve athletic performance
Mitochondria are responsible for generating ATP which fuels all cellular activity—particularly in skeletal muscle. Good mitochondrial function is especially important for any athletes who must maximize their energy production.
By increasing the health and amount of mitochondria within the cells—particularly within muscle cells, Mitergy may increase ATP production and subsequently, the amount of energy available to the muscles for athletic performance.
Reduce effects of aging
As we age, the number and function of the mitochondria within our cells decreases. Increasingly, scientists are espousing the belief that decreased mitochondrial function is one of the primary causes of aging and may determine human longevity.12,13 With ingredients that protect existing mitochondria, enhance their ability to create ATP (energy) production, and even stimulate mitochondrial biogenesis, Mitergy seeks to provide a solution to the “energy crisis” that many people encounter as they age. Mitergy not only helps to make the most of the mitochondria in the body, but to actually help generate new mitochondria.
Mitochondrial dysfunction is a new class of health disorders believed to be caused by low mitochondrial function. Some common symptoms are poor growth, loss of muscle coordination, muscle weakness, visual problems, hearing problems, learning disabilities, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, gastrointestinal disorders, respiratory disorders, neurological problems, low energy, autonomic dysfunction and dementia. These are often inherited conditions.
While the study and treatment of mitochondrial disease is still a new field, most treatment currently focuses on symptom management. Mitergy offers a different approach: with a combination of ingredients aimed at improving the health and number of mitochondria in the body, Mitergy seeks to offer those suffering from mitochondrial disorders a way to attach the root cause of their conditions.
Improved brain function
The human brain uses more energy than any other organ—approximately one fifth of the energy our bodies need. And like every other tissue in the body, this energy must be in the form of ATP supplied by the mitochondria. Only about two-thirds of this ATP is actually used for “thinking” (firing brain cell synapses). The rest is used for the housekeeping of maintaining brain cells and keeping them healthy.14 When brain cells aren’t able to generate enough ATP, these housekeeping functions may break down. Some people believe this is part of what allows amyloid plaques to build up leading to dementia, Alzheimer’s, and other degenerative brain conditions.
Supporting mitochondria throughout the body also benefits those in brain and nerve cells and may lead to better brain function. Several ingredients in Mitergy have shown benefits in brain function on their own. For example, a recent animal study showed that mice supplemented with nicotinamide riboside (Niagen®) showed marked improvements in Alzheimer’s-like symptoms and improved cognitive function as measured by lab tests that involved exploring new items, compared to those that did not receive the supplement.15 pTeroPure pterostilbene similarly shows neuroprotective benefits. In one study, animals fed high amounts of pterostilbene performed better on motor and cognitive function tests than those fed low amounts.16
1. Carles Cantó, Riekelt H. Houtkooper, Eija Pirinen, Dou Y. Youn, Maaike H. Oosterveer, Yana Cen, Pablo J. Fernandez-Marcos, Hiroyasu Yamamoto, Pénélope A. Andreux, Philippe Cettour-Rose, Karl Gademann, Chris Rinsch, Kristina Schoonjans, Anthony A. Sauve, and Johan Auwerx “The NAD+ precursor nicotinamide riboside enhances oxidative metabolism and protects against high-fat diet induced obesity.” Cell Metab. 2012 Jun 6; 15(6): 838–847. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2012.04.022
2. Reyes-Izquierdo T, Nemzer B, Argumedo R, Shu C, Huynh L, Pietrzkowski Z. Effect of the dietary supplement ElevATP on blood ATP level: An acute pilot clinical study. J Aging Res Clin Practice 2013;2:178-184
3. Li HB, Ge YK, Zheng XX, Zhang L. Salidroside stimulated glucose uptake in skeletal muscle cells by activating AMP-activated protein kinase. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008 Jul 7;588(2-3):165-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2008.04.036. Epub 2008 Apr 20.
4. Mingorance C, Gonzalez del Pozo M, Dolores Herrera M, Alvarez de Sotomayor M. Oral supplementation of propionyl-l-carnitine reduces body weight and hyperinsulinaemia in obese Zucker rats. Br J Nutr. 2009 Oct;102(8):1145-53.
5. Mingorance C, Duluc L, Chalopin M, et al. Propionyl-L-carnitine corrects metabolic and cardiovascular alterations in diet-induced obese mice and improves liver respiratory chain activity. PLoS One. 2012;7(3):e34268.
6. Amin KA, Nagy MA. Effect of Carnitine and herbal mixture extract on obesity induced by high fat diet in rats. Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2009;1(1):17.
7. Xia Y, Li Q, Zhong W, Dong J, Wang Z, Wang C. L-carnitine ameliorated fatty liver in high-calorie diet/STZ-induced type 2 diabetic mice by improving mitochondrial function. Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2011;3:31.
8. Kang JS, Lee WK, Yoon WK, et al. A combination of grape extract, green tea extract and L-carnitine improves high-fat diet-induced obesity, hyperlipidemia and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in mice. Phytother Res. 2011 Dec;25(12):1789-95.
9. Ames BN. Prevention of mutation, cancer, and other age-associated diseases by optimizing micronutrient intake. J Nucleic Acids. 2010 Sept 22;2010.
10. Wang Y, Li X, Guo Y, Chan L, Guan X. alpha-Lipoic acid increases energy expenditure by enhancing adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase-peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha signaling in the skeletal muscle of aged mice. Metabolism. 2010 Jul;59(7):967-76.
11. Jhankar D Acharya and Saroj S Ghaskadbi. Protective effect of Pterostilbene against free radical mediated oxidative damage. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2013, 13:238 doi:10.1186/1472-6882-13-238
12. Lanza IR, Nair KS. Mitochondrial function as a determinant of life span. Pflugers Arch. 2010 Jan;459(2):277-89.
13. Alexeyev MF, LeDoux SP, Wilson GL. Mitochondrial DNA and aging. Clin Sci. 2004;107:355-364.
14. Fei Du, Xiao-Hong Zhu, Yi Zhang, Michael Friedman, Nanyin Zhang, Kâmil U?urbil, and Wei Chen. “Tightly coupled brain activity and cerebral ATP metabolic rate”
PNAS 2008 105 (17) 6409-6414; published ahead of print April 28, 2008, doi:10.1073/pnas.0710766105
15. Gong B, Pan Y, Vempati P, et al. Nicotinamide riboside restores cognition through an upregulation of proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator 1alpha regulated beta-secretase 1 degradation and mitochondrial gene expression in Alzheimer’s mouse models. Neurobiol Aging. 2013 Jun;34(6):1581-8.
16. Joseph JA, Fisher DR, Cheng V, Rimando AM, Shukitt-Hale B. Cellular and behavioral effects of stilbene resveratrol analogues: implications for reducing the deleterious effects of aging. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2008;56(22):10544–10551
Why Mitergy® Matters
Your mitochondria create all the energy in your body
Every cell in your body (except the red blood cells) relies on the mitochondria within them to create ATP by reacting glucose and lipids with oxygen. ATP is the fuel for every cellular action from the heart beating to the brain thinking, to muscles moving or nerves transmitting messages. Without the ATP fuel provided by the mitochondria, nothing can happen in the body.
The more mitochondria a cell has and the better condition they are in, the more ATP they can create and therefore the more energy you can have for all the various functions your cells need to perform.
However, when your cells and mitochondria don’t have all the components and cofactors they need to work efficiently, harmful oxidants can be created as a byproduct of ATP production. These oxidants or free radicals can harm the mitochondria and reduce their function.
Mitergy® is a patent pending, stimulant-free formulation of nutrients and co-factors which work in the body to enhance mitochondrial energy production, improve energy production efficiency, and protect mitochondria from damage and degradation.* Mitergy®’s patent-pending, multi-action formula supports mitochondrial energy in three ways:
- Enhancing mitochondrial energy production so that your cells make more energy, with Niagen®, A patented and superior form of vitamin B3 (nicotinamide riboside) that supports mitochondrial health and may increase biogenesis, or the creation of new mitochondria within living cells, elevATP®, a patented combination of ancient peat and apple polyphenols that has been shown to increase intracellular ATP production and standardized extract of Rhodiola rosea and adaptogen that can stimulates the enzyme AMPK, which regulates the number and size of mitochondria.*
- Increasing the efficiency of mitochondrial energy production, through enhancing the ATP cycle and the efficiency of fuel transport into the cell for ATP production with Acetyl L-Carnitine, which is metabolized by the body to the amino acid carnitine, which binds with lipids so that they can more efficiently enter the mitochondria to be burned as fuel and Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA), a short-chain fatty acid that has been shown to enhance the ATP cycle of energy production and improve mitochondrial function measured by mitochondrial oxygen use and activity.*
- Protecting mitochondria from damage and degradation, with pTeroPure®, the patented and clinically studied >99% pure form of the all-trans pterostilbene (pronounced “tero STILL bean”), a highly bioavailable form of double-methylated resveratrol found in blueberries that is four times better absorbed and has a longer half-life in the body than resveratrol, lasting about 7 times longer in the body.* pTeroPure protects the mitochondria from harmful oxidative compounds and may improve their function.*
Mitochondrial function typically declines with age
Aging may be as much a function of the breakdown of our mitochondria as any other factor. Mitochondrial decay leads to reduced energy, poor glucose uptake and resulting obesity and muscle loss. It also leads to an increase in harmful oxidative free radicals within the body that cause damage to mitochondria and cells.
Further, because our brains require such a large amount of energy relative to their size, decrease ATP production reduces the brain’s ability to both work effectively, and also to perform the crucial “housekeeping” functions that remove plaque buildups and keep the brain working efficiently. It is now believed that these housekeeping functions use up to one third of the brain’s energy demand. When the mitochondria of the brain cells can’t produce sufficient ATP, these clean-up and repair functions of the brain suffer.
Mitergy protects against some of the neurological effects of aging:
- Niagen (nicotinamide riboside) and pTeroPure pterostilbene both provide documented neuro-protective actions.
- Increased biogenesis and ATP production attacks the “energy crisis” of old age.
- Acetyl L-Carnitine supplementation has been shown to reverse the metabolic decay and reduced mitochondrial function in animals.
- R-Alpha Lipoic Acid preserves and re-energizes already decayed mitochondria in elderly animal studies, back toward levels seen in younger subjects.
Mitergy®: Mitochondrial Energy Support*
Mitochondria are the energy factories inside every single cell in your body. Mitergy® is a patent pending, stimulant-free formulation of nutrients which work in the body to protect the mitochondria and enhance mitochondrial energy production.*
Suggested Use: As a dietary supplement, two capsules daily on an empty stomach with a large glass of water. 100% Vegetarian.
Warning: Consult your physician prior to taking this product if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication or have a medical condition.
Other Ingredients: Hypromellose (Vegetarian Capsules),
Microcrystalline Cellulose, Vegetable Source Magnesium Stearate.
Allergen Warning: This product was produced in a facility that may also process ingredients containing milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans.
Mitergy® formula protected by patents pending.
elevATP® is a registered trademark of VDF Futureceuticals, Inc. and protected
by U.S. patents.
NIAGEN® is a registered trademark of ChromaDex, Inc. and protected by U.S. patents.
pTeroPure™ is a trademark of ChromaDex, Inc. and protected by U.S. patents.